Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yeast Beasts in Action

Title: Yeast Beasts in Action

Hypothesis: The pressure will change, either rise or fall, depending on the type of material.

Results/Conclusion: When we mixed the yeast (Base) and the Hydrogen Peroxide, the pressure went from 97.3056062012 kPa to 109.000784424 kPa. This shows that the base produced a chemical reaction with the Hydrogen peroxide, and there was gas released, creating pressure. During our second test, with the neutral (Milk), the pressure in the test tube went from 97.3162446289 kPa to 97.6460358887 kPa, which shows that nothing was happening to change the pressure inside the tube. The pressure stayed generally the same, which shows that there was no reaction. With the acidic substance (Diet Soda), the pressure rose from 97.3233369141 kPa to 98.8800935059 kPa, which shows a reaction, but not a big one. This means that the pressure rose, but only by a one point. In the end, I would have to say I accepted my hypothesis, because it did happen. The pressure was changed and affected by the different substances we used. Yeast can make things rise. That affects me in real life because I like to cook, and without yeast we would not have bread. At the neutral test, I hit collect after the pressure was being accumulated, but that probably didn't affect anything because the pressure stayed the same throughout the whole test.

Questions: 1. We did our experiment wrong by adding peroxide to all of them instead of yeast. I realize our mistake, but I do not have an answer for this question.

2. We did our experiment wrong by adding peroxide to all of them instead of yeast. I realize our mistake, but I do not have an answer for this question.

3. From what we did, the one with the yeast in it was the strongest.

No comments:

Post a Comment